The 2015 grant application cycle is now open.
The First Hospital Foundation is a private foundation providing support to nonprofit organizations whose programs address the health needs of the most vulnerable and underserved populations in Philadelphia, Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery counties. Since its inception in 1997, the foundation has distributed more than $16.6 million in grants to nonprofits serving those in need.
The foundation seeks to be responsive to the health care needs of the community. The foundation’s major purpose is to enhance and augment health care services to the vulnerable and underserved. The foundation’s secondary purpose is to support the preservation of the historic artifacts and memorials of Pennsylvania Hospital.
The foundation values:
- Best practices and evidence-based approaches which are efficacious, effective and efficient
- Nonprofit organizations that offer effective programs and services to the community
- Emerging models, practice improvements and innovations
- Development of replicable, innovative approaches to health care delivery
- Programs that reduce systemic, economic, cultural and educational barriers to health care
- Programs that leverage foundation funds with other resources, such as matching grants, in-kind contributions or pro-bono services
The foundation’s funding priorities are:
- Improvement of access to health care by the underserved including the uninsured and underinsured
- Meeting behavioral health needs
- Promotion of the health and well-being of children and families
- Education, training and advocacy to improve health care outcomes
- Requires applicants to identify measurable outcomes and describe how the applicant and foundation can determine whether goals have been achieved
- Requires clear tracking and reporting of program performance
Types of grants:
The Foundation has an annual grant cycle. We only accept applications through our new online application program. Click here for more information on how to apply.
Requests for funding generally far exceed the funds available. For this reason criteria have been established to assist the foundation in deciding where its funds may be most effectively employed for the betterment of the community.
An organization must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible to apply for a grant:
- Organization must be tax exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and must have a current 501(c)(3) tax exempt letter; or must have a fiscal sponsor with tax-exempt status.
- Organization must serve populations within the five-county Philadelphia metropolitan region (Philadelphia, Delaware, Chester, Montgomery and Bucks counties).
- Organization’s application must address one or more of the priorities listed above.
- Organization must demonstrate success in serving the health needs of the vulnerable and underserved.
- An organization that has received funding from the foundation for five years consecutively must wait one year before reapplying.
- A Pennsylvania Hospital program that has been funded five years consecutively must wait one year before reapplying for program support.
- An organization applying for General Operating Support must meet additional criteria. Click here for details on eligibility.
The foundation does not support:
- one-time or free-standing education, training or advocacy programs
- production of collateral materials
- for-profit organizations, firms or companies
- capital campaigns (minor renovations may be considered)
- debt reduction
- endowment campaigns
- scholarships, fellowships or grants to individuals
- fraternal, political (or candidate), veteran, labor or civic groups
- an organization that has not provided required final report for previous grant